Background

1/20/2012

Meeting the birth mother

Baby Sister has a monthly visit with her biological mom. We never had to do this with Corey, so it has been a completely new experience. Last month, I saw birth mom for the first time just for a few seconds. During the last visit, though, Baby Sister got very upset and was crying uncontrollably so I was asked to join in on the visit to help calm her. She's recently started having a bit of separation anxiety and during the visit she wanted to be with a familiar face. I then stayed with her for the remainder of the visit time.
The birth mom was clearly upset that Baby Sister wanted me, not her. She seemed relieved though that I was able to calm the baby. She also thanked me for taking such good care of Baby Sister for her.

Can I confess something to all of you...

I never planned or wanted to "like" the birth parents.
That sounds harsh, doesn't it. I can rationalize it all I want, but it is harsh. And, sitting there for the remainder of the visit I realized how wrong I was in my thinking.
Yes, birth mom has made some mistakes. Yes, she has a lot of problems. She's not able to parent her baby right now and probably not ever.
She's a product of a very broken world....
Just. like. me. I am definitely not perfect either. I may be able to parent my children, but I am sinner in so many other ways. Who am I to judge?
Sitting there, it was like God opened my eyes to what really is important to him. During these monthly visits, my main thoughts have been about how inconvenient they are to ME and Baby Sister. I've never once really prayed about why God still has these visits occur. I've never thought of biological mom needs, desires, or thoughts. But sitting there during the visit, I could see that she does love her baby. And she was hurting on the inside because her baby wanted me, not her. She is a stranger to her own baby. I cannot imagine what that would feel like. I cannot fathom having contact only once a month with any of my children. I would be a mess.
On the long drive back home, I prayed earnestly for biological mom. I prayed for soul, because I am not sure if she knows Jesus. I prayed for her situation, because her life is definitely not all wonderful right now. I prayed for God to use me and my family, if possible, to show the love of Jesus to her.
I'm not sure yet what to do, but I know that God has the answers.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing so openly and honestly, Melissa. I really enjoyed reading this post and it is challenging me in how I think about certain things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for being so honest. What a graceful God we serve :)

    ReplyDelete