Background

5/23/2011

Faith like a child

[Contrary to popular belief, this is a shared blog. I do exist; I'm just not very good about typing out my thoughts in anything more than Facebook-sized chunks.]

Last Friday, Aidan (our oldest) was baptized. He'll be six in just a few weeks. Though he is young, the kid clearly understands his personal need for Jesus. He's a great reader and a sharp thinker, so we are inundated with questions and observations on how everyday life and God intersect.

One of the things that always strikes me about those questions and observations are his childlike impressions of everything. To him, if Jesus commands it, then we should do it. He knows friends who don't have Jesus, so he tells them. There are people who need help, so let's help them. Things really are that simple. And why not? The Bible makes things like spreading the Gospel and loving your neighbor so abundantly clear, so why would he not obey the commands of an infinitely powerful and loving God? It is through Aidan's eyes that I'm beginning to understand the words of Jesus in Mark 10:15, "Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it."

Yet how many lives are lived like this within our communities? How many of us ignore the lost souls who are in plain sight people we see everyday? How many of us look at the poor, the fatherless, and the marginalized only to decide that we really don't have the time or resources? Even when people approach the Compassion International booth, so ofter we hear something along the lines of "what you are doing is great, but I'm not sure I/we can do that" (with "that" being setting aside less than the average cable bill to support some of the neediest children in the world).

My prayer is that, as Aidan gets older, he doesn't "grow up" with regards to this area of his faith. I hope he continues to see black and white on these issues of great clarity and not shades of gray. I pray his spirit is infectious to those around him such that they can no longer separate "what they believe" with "what they do".

For me, this cuts to the bone. I am deeply convicted to fight against the part of me that just wants to make excuses instead of spreading God's overwhelming love. I know I have a long road ahead of me in that regard.

So how are you doing here? Where in your life have you overcomplicated something that God makes simple (note: I didn't say "easy")? Where have you chosen inaction that needs immediate action? Where do you need childlike faith?

No comments:

Post a Comment