Background

5/08/2012

Waves of emotion

There's been some news recently on the adoption-front that I've had trouble finding words to talk about here on the blog.  It's very good news for us and for Baby Sister. It's been different waves of emotion for me.
I had a post on here earlier this year about meeting the biological mother for the first time.  Since then, we were doing monthly visits so I saw the mom a handful of additional times.   Each time, the mother and her family (also present at visits occasionally) were very polite to me.  After each visit, I just left feeling so bad for the mother and her situation.   I would spend the 45 minutes drive back home in prayer for her. 

About a month ago, the biological mother decided to relinquish her rights, which means she basically signed something that said she no longer wants to be Baby's mother.  It was a decision that the mom's case workers were hoping she'd make, rather than having the court process of a judge terminating her parental rights. Her deciding to relinquish was a very mature choice.  It was a great step for our family in the adoption process.  We then had a "goodbye visit" with the biological mom and extended family.  I was a nervous wreck before the visit.  I was worried about what to say, what would happen there, etc.  The "goodbye" visit actually went very well.  The biological mom asked me to stay during the visit, so I was able to be in the room with Baby the whole time.  I was able to take some photos of Baby with her biological mom, which is nice to have for the future.  Nothing was really said about us adopting until the very end, when a family member asked if we'd be the ones to adopt her.  I said that we hoped to adopt and the family member said that it's good that she already knows us.  It was nice to have confirmation from the extended family that they were okay with the process. 

Since the goodbye visit, though, we've heard from the case worker that the biological mom isn't doing too good.  We don't know specifics, but we've been told that this has taken a tole on her and she's having problems in many areas of her life.  That was hard to hear.   The biological mom made a wonderful decision for Baby Sister and I pray that God uses this situation to reach the biological mother. I want the mother to really succeed in life and not just end up being another statistic.  It also has caused me to experience some feelings of guilt in all of this.  I try to remember that God has a plan for all of this, that he has a plan for Baby Sister AND for her mother.  That God already knows what is going to happen or not happen and I just need to trust in that.

Since the mom did relinquish her rights, we are still on target to adopt Baby Sister later this summer or fall.  All of our family is excited for that day in the future! 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment